There are times when you are in a bind and need to get a solid bass line down, but there is not bass player in site. Well, now in SONAR X3 you can easily record your bass parts on any instrument and convert it to a virtual bass instrument using the new ARA integration.
First let’s plugin the instrument of your choice. For me, the closest instrument was an acoustic guitar. I’ve been playing around with some chord changes recently and I need a solid walking bass line to jam along with. Unfortunately I don’t have a bass guitar close-by so I’m going record the bass line on the guitar.
There are some mistakes in that recording, so that is why I’m going to use Melodyne Essential.
- Right-clicking on the audio region and selecting Create Region FX > Melodyne will load Melodyne Essential in the Multi-dock.
- Select Ctrl+A to select all of the blobs in Melodyne
- Select “Quantize Time”
- Select the division by which you want to quantize your audio, I chose 1/8 notes
- Drag the “Intensity” toggle all the way to the right
Now your recording should sound a bit tighter.
- Next, insert SI-Bass Guitar or any Bass instrument of your choosing.
- Insert it as a Simple Instrument Track underneath the guitar track.
- Drag and Drop the audio to the MIDI Track
- You have converted your guitar line to Bass using ARA Integration
Check out more from the Cakewalk blog